Upcoming This Week (REVISED)
MONDAY, 10/31 BLUE
Boys' Basketball Practice Begins, 3:45-4:45 p.m.
7th gr Football @Westbriar MS, 5:00 p.m.
TUESDAY, 11/1 GREEN
8th gr Football vs. Westbriar MS @Butler Stadium, 7:00 p.m.
WEDNESDAY, 11/2 BLUE
Choir/Orchestra Renaissance Festival Field Trip
Fall Book Fair Begins
THURSDAY, 11/3 GREEN
District Magnet Tours, 1:00 p.m.
FRIDAY, 11/4 CHARGER
College Shirt Day
Adv. Theatre UIL Clinic @Westbriar
Adv. Theatre UIL, Westbriar MS
ChargerFest, Noon-4:00 p.m.
Proposition 1: Know Before You Vote
Still have questions about Proposition 1? The HISD website has a great video that explains the ballot language of "attendance credits."
As district employees we are not allowed to share our political viewpoints in an attempt to persuade you to vote one way or another.
Due to a scheduling conflict with the Lamar High School pool, POMS Swim Team Tryouts have been re-scheduled for MONDAY, NOVEMBER 7th at 5:30pm. Only students who have already submitted paperwork are eligible to tryout. If you have any questions, please see Coach Johnson (Boys) in A-121, or Coach Coffman Fujiwara (Girls) in C-112.
Fall Book Fair
Pin Oak will be holding our Fall Book Fair benefiting the Pin Oak Library. The book fair is location in the DLL in the back of the library.
Parents and students can come browse the great selection and buy books before, during and after school. The book fair will be open from 7:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m. on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, November 2-4. On Saturday, November 5th, during ChargerFest, it will be open from noon-4:00 p.m.
Thursday morning, November 3rd, is our "Books and Breakfast" beginning at 7:30 a.m. This is a great opportunity to come spend time with your student, enjoy free breakfast and support the library all at the same time. We hope to see you then!
Run (or Walk) to Support Pin Oak Middle School
Calling all Pin Oak students and their families to participate in the Bellaire Fall Fever Fun Run on November 19. The Bellaire Fun Run features both a 5k walk/run and a Childrens' Run, and benefits Bellaire area school, including Pin Oak Middle School. Every student and their family members who sign up at www.bellairepto.org, a donation of $5 will be made to Pin Oak Middle School to benefit the new fitness track campaign. There's even a chance for Pin Oak to win a traveling trophy for having the most participants. So, get fit and benefit the fitness track!
Condit Elementary challenged the other Bellaire area schools, as we can't leave a challenge unanswered! Mr. Merz, Ms. Riegler, Ms. Hill ad Ms. Reid will be participating for POMS, competing against the other Bellaire area school teams. Let's cheer them on!
BTW, not into the early morning fun run scene? Want to find a way to contribute? You can register to "sleep in" ad receive a sleep mask instead of a runner t-shirt. Or, consider making a donation directly to our Fitness Track Campaign at http:pinoakpto.org/fitnesstrack/
Developing Good Study Habits
I recently read a blog post from Edutopia that featured some really practical ideas for parents to help you child develop strong study habits. Check it out!
Top Ten Things I Learned From My Day as a 6th Grader
10. The library is a really nice way to start the day.
9. Working in groups is a great way to feel connected and learn from each other.
8. I had plenty of time to get to class because by shadow buddy was very organized about what materials to take each time we went to the locker. Nice job, Cecilia!
7. Bottom lockers are really hard to get to, even with my cluster mates kindly offering to let me go first.
6. Remembering the locker combination is not an easy thing. Is 2 out of 3 good?
5. Long division with decimals does not come easily when your regular job allows for a calculator.
4. Forgetting your lunch money in your locker happens to the best of us.
3. Praise from your teacher feels really good - "You are on the right track. Keep going."
2. Positive body image matters! Right, Coach?
1. Pin Oak students are incredible! They work so hard! #totalrespect
Halloween Costume Guidelines
Students are invited to dress in costume tomorrow using the following guidelines:
- Students may wear a costume that adequately covers their bodies, using the same guidelines as we use with dress code, i.e. no short skirts, no short shorts, no leggings, and no spaghetti straps, strapless tops or halter tops.
- Nothing may obstruct the face. There should be no face paint, no face tattoos and no masks.
- No props. Under no circumstances may you bring a replica of a gun, knife, sword, etc.
- In light of the recent "clown" drama, no clown costumes are allowed.
- Please refrain from anything that may be disruptive, profane or inappropriate.
- Students who have PE on Monday, will still be expected to dress out and participate. Please make sure you have appropriate shoes.
Pin Oak Boys' Lacrosse November Clinics
Pin Oak Boys Lacrosse Fall Clinics are continuing!! It is time to sign up for the November clinics, which start this coming Tuesday, Nov. 1. Go to our website, POBL.org , for all the information. We hope to see old as well as new lacrosse players! All boys in grades 6-8th may sign up. It is a great way to check out the game.
ChargerFest is Saturday!
Raffle begins Monday!!!
Students can see the exciting prizes and buy raffle tickets during lunch this week. Raffle drawings will be held at 3:45 on November 5th. They do not need to be present to win.
Wristbands and tickets are on sale online until November 2nd.
Be sure to buy ahead of time at the discounted rate.
*Students can purchase wristbands and tickets this week during lunch w/ cash or check.
*Online orders will be delivered during team-time beginning Monday, October 31st .
For questions, please contact Jenny Hanks at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you ChargerFest Sponsors & Underwriters
Fine Arts Performances
Jungle Climb Rockwall
Nothing Bundt Cakes
Bayshore Surveying, Michael Family, New Star EMS
Barrow, Fisher, Gilder, Madison, McAlpin, Mills, Organ,
Wizig-Barrios, & Woodcox Families
Vision Source Meyer Park
Cheng, Clark, Hampton, Harper, Hutchinson, McIntosh, Nicodemus, Neumann, Rephlo, Wexler & Woods Families
Abaza, Cheney, Clement, Davies, Escobedo-Huh, Moss, Shah,
Skow & Williams Families
Pat’s Landscaping Co.
$1000 Sponsorship Group
Brandt, Felch, Forque, Hochglaube, Kant, Krauss, Malin, Schultz, Sloan,
Torres-Coley & Watts Families
Super Star Underwriters
Basa, Courtney, Hochglaube & DeBorde PC., Madison, McAlpin, Mills,
Shultz & Traylor Families
Carr-Griffiths, Goodman, Harper, Jeanjean, Tackett & Woods Families
Duval, Jarosz, McPherson, Shaw-Guttman, Soeriawinata & Wallach Families
Thank you PTO Corporate Sponsors for your continued support!
Beth Wolff Realtors
Thank you Raffle Prize Donors!
Beth Wolff Realtors – Texans Tickets
Borsos & Shah Families - Fitbit
Courtney Family – Beats by Dr. Dre Wireless Earphones
Dynamo Charities – Autographed Jersey
Hanks & Weber Families – Itunes Giftcard
Little Matt’s & Imagination Toys - Little Matt’s Gift card & Spooner Balance Board
Magpies Gifts & Alva Allen – Swell Bottle & Burlap Tote, both w/Free Monogramming
Vera Bradley – Vera Tote w/ matching Cosmetic Bag
Vision Source Meyer Park – Rayban Sunglasses
Wake Nation Houston – 4 Day Pass
In-Kind Donations from…
Beth Wolff Realtors
ChargerFest Bazaar Vendors
Bellaire FUN RUN
Greater Houston Orthodontics
POMS Agriculture Club
POMS Fitness Track
Wants & Needs Shop